Sunday 19 January 2014

Effective Google search.

Google is undeniably one of the most important inventions today, as we literally google everything we need to find out. For myself, I am an avid user of Google who googles everything and anything under the sun. For example, when I wanted to know whether a boy I liked had mutual feelings for me, the first thing I did was to google it.When I needed help in writing a business report, Google was my main source of information. As you can see, Google plays an important role in my life. However, one bane is that at times, it is close to impossible to find exactly what I want to search for. It is just like searching a needle in a haystack, and can be frustrating at times. So, today's post is on some tips on how we can optimise our Google searches to find precisely what we are looking for.

1) Keep it short and precise. 
The more words you use in your search, the more information the search engine will link your search with. The next thing you know, you will have lots of redundant things in your results which are definitely not what you are looking for. Use keywords to optimise your search, and it will save you lots of time too.

2) Use shortcuts
If you just want to search from a particular website, type in site: (URL of website). 

If you don't want to search for something, use a "-" to exclude any results of that item. For example, if you want to search for English pop music, but dislike Justin Bieber's music, you can type 'Pop music -Justin Bieber' into the search engine.

If you want to find any papers written by say, Albert Einstein, you can type author:Einstein. This trick works for all papers, and it is useful if you want to find one written by a certain author.

3) Specialty search
To find out the weather, type in 'weather' followed by the city or postal code. Want to calculate something quick? Google can be used as a calculator as well, just type in your calculation, and it will calculate it for you.

I hope that these tips will be useful to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment