Sunday 19 January 2014

Ways to make your design more memorable.

Having taken Visual Communication for close to a year now, I have definitely learnt and discovered many new things. Even though design is something that is daunting to me, I am glad to say that I have boldly taken up the challenges that have come my way, and created works beyond my expectations. So, I would like to share with you how to make your work more extraordinary.

Simplicity is key
Many may think that adding more things in a design will make it look more complex, and therefore more outstanding. However, I beg to differ as I feel that it will have the opposite effect instead. Just take the McDonald's logo for example. It is simply a logo of the letter 'm', or what others say, the golden arches. This timeless logo is something that can be identified instantaneously by someone as the company's icon, and this shows how effectual it is.

Appeal to emotions and tell a story. Give surprises.
Often, a good visual is one that can connect to us emotionally. Let's take the instance of an image of a malnourished African child. This appeals to us, as it a powerful image of how children like him are surviving on meagre amounts of food, making them skeletally thin.It also tells a story of them living in poverty. As the saying goes, a picture can speak a thousand words. In the same way, make your design impactful by using images which will evoke the desired emotions from people viewing it. Also, if your design has an element of surprise, people will be more likely to remember it.


Some designs I feel that are really good:
1) Ad to raise awareness of the dangers using phones while driving
Credits: http://wp.streetwise.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Image-via-Fubiz1.png
2) Ad that brings to attention the harm of second-hand smoke.
Credits: http://wp.streetwise.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Image-via-AdsOfTheWorld.jpg


I hope that you have learnt something from this post, and create a design of your own that will create waves! All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment