Saturday 18 January 2014

TP Open House Mission

For our VC assignment, we were sent on a top secret mission to spy on the other polytechnics' open house! So, all the east siders in DMC 03 headed down to Temasek Polytechnic on a Saturday morning.

But before I talk about my time at TP's open house, I want to share about my own experience when it came to choosing a school after getting back my O level results. 
Honestly, choosing TP has never really crossed my mind, despite it's proximity to my house. Even through I live in Pasir Ris, SP has always been my school of choice due to its reputation as Singapore's best poly. I guess to me, the reputation of the school always matters more than the distance. 

However, after going to TP's open house, I began to see a different side of the school that I have not discovered before. The people there are so bubbly, enthusiastic, and all of them are keen to promote their school, which is something I find lacking in SP's open house. But it doesn't change my perception of SP being an awesome school just yet! 

Anyway, I shall let the pictures do the talking!

We arrived early, before the open house officially begun! All the booths were empty and it was really really quiet and deserted!












 There was a mass selfie ground, where the gigantic screen above acts as a 'camera' and will show an image of the people at the ground on it!



It started to become crowded after people started streaming in the school.





Performances which show the fun and vibrant side of TP!



















The theme of the open house was ' Best Day Ever', which was shown in the T-shirts the students wore, advertisements and billboards.



One of the items they gave to visitors! All the bags they gave out has the same theme and similar design for the different schools in TP.



The shirt the students wore for the open house, it was specially designed for this event!


Now, I shall answer some questions!

•What is the THEME and the MESSAGE?
The theme of TP's open house is 'Best day ever'. The school wants to tell prospective students that the open house is definitely one of the best experiences they will ever have, and the next three years of their life will be the best days of their lives.

•Is it EFFECTIVE? What makes it effective? What worked? Why?

Well, I would say that it is effective as this theme was consistent, and emphasises that one's time at TP will be a blast, so this adds on to the fun image that TP already has.

•Do you like it? Why/Why not?

Honestly, I think that it is too cliche.To me, school is not only about fun and learning, but also about learning as well.By emphasising too much on the 'fun' side, the academic part seems to be neglected.

•What could be done to improve it? Can you suggest IMPROVEMENTS to it?

I think that it will be better if TP can focus more on how they can bring every student to their highest potential, and help them fulfil their dreams. A theme like, 'Your dreams come alive' may be better. Emphasising on how fun life is in TP is not exactly very practical, as students come to school not only to have fun, but also to study in order to get into an university or their desired job.

•Was there anything in particular that was INNOVATIVE and really caught your attention and impressed you?

What I was most impressed about the open house is that they had various activities and the students were just so friendly and enthusiastic. It actually felt like a carnival, and it had this festive vibe. This was worlds apart from SP's open house, where everything -in my own opinion- was mundane.

Would you recommend SP to use this and why?
How did it engage you?

It will be better if SP's student volunteers were more enthusiastic in promoting their courses, so that people will be persuaded to come to SP.  The energy and friendliness the TP students had was something that definitely changed my perception of the school.

•What COLLABORATIVE TOOLS did you use? 

My team used Whatsapp to discuss and share pictures together.

•Throw in your understanding of Design Principles and your take of what you observed in a very "VC" way.
See things in the light of form and function.
Does this visual language appropriate itself with the intended audience in this culture?

I think that the visual language is very suitable to the target audience, the prospective students. The design of the logo and other items they gave out all were trendy, and had interesting designs that I am pretty sure young people will like.


In all, I really enjoyed myself at the TP open house, and I am really glad that I had the opportunity to visit the school. Thanks Ms Sng for giving us such a fun task!

No comments:

Post a Comment